RAW KALESLAW (GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, EGG-FREE, NUT-FREE)


I find the term "slaw" to be one of the most unappetizing sounding words,  probably because coleslaw is one of the most unappetizing dishes, so I apologize for not being able to come up with a more creative name for this, or perhaps you will thank me for lending it a new, entirely appetizing association. This dish is so delicious, and has become such a staple in my diet, that I feel compelled to emerge from my nearly permanent hiatus on this blog to share it with you. It is exceptionally easy to make (as most raw food is), and the most exotic ingredient in it, really, is the kale. I hope that you try it, and love it as much as I do. (I just polished off my third bowl in two days.)

I like to make this big batch, and keep the leftovers in the refrigerator for easy meals. This is even more excellent after chilling in the fridge, especially the next day, so I highly recommend it. Feel free to cut it in half, though, if you only have a smaller amount of the ingredients on hand. This is a versatile recipe, so eyeballing the amount of vegetables is okay. If using the cashews instead of the sunflower seeds, the salad will be lent almost a Waldorf salad sort of taste, so feel free to run with that and add some grapes and walnuts, too!

RAW KALESLAW

ABOUT 8 LARGE RED RUSSIAN KURLY KALE LEAVES (approximate if your bunch includes a variety of sizes. This could be about 3/4 of a bunch, depending.)
8 BRUSSEL SPROUTS
2 LARGE OR 4 SMALL APPLES, PREFERABLY GALA OR PINK LADY
2 CUPS RAW SUNFLOWER SEEDS, OR RAW CASHEWS
JUICE OF 2 LEMONS
SPLASH OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (RAW, WITH THE MOTHER!), OR ABOUT 1 TBS
1/2-1 TBS RAW AGAVE NECTAR (if using cashews instead of sunflower seeds, omit the agave, as the cashews are naturally quite sweet)
ABOUT 1 CUP WATER
SEA SALT TO TASTE

POUR THE SEEDS OR NUTS INTO A FOOD PROCESSOR AND GRIND UNTIL FINE. (I USUALLY LET IT RUN UNTIL I'M DONE PREPARING THE VEGETABLES.) WASH THE KALE, BRUSSEL SPROUTS & APPLES. DESTEM THE KALE AND TEAR IT INTO SMALL PIECES. LOP THE ENDS OF THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS OFF, AND CUT THIN SLICES ACROSS THE WIDTH OF THE SPROUT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE. SLICE LENGTHWISE ONCE YOU CAN'T HOLD IT ANY LONGER WITHOUT CHOPPING OF YOUR FINGER TIPS. SLICE THE SIDES OF THE APPLE OFF OF THE CORE, AND THEN DICE THE FRUIT. MIX THE KALE, SPROUTS AND APPLE TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL. ONCE THE SEEDS OR NUTS ARE FINELY GROUND, WORK OUT ANY LUMPS WITH A FORK, AND MIX IN THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS. POUR OVER THE VEGETABLES AND MIX VERY THOROUGHLY. I FIND A ROUNDED SPATULA TO BE BEST FOR THIS STEP, AS IT HELPS TO MIX UP THE SAUCE THAT POOLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL BEST. SERVE IMMEDIATELY OR CHILL FOR MORE FLAVORFUL RESULTS.


0 comments:

Post a Comment